We are looking for a volunteer board member with knowledge and experience in communications, marketing, public relations, social media and event promotion.
In exchange for a two-year commitment to this volunteer role, we will send you on a trip to Sable Island from July 5-13, 2017 compliments of Adventure Canada http://adventurecanada.com/trip/sable-island-2017/
Read on for more details – and good luck!
Volunteer Board Member – Director of Communications and Marketing
Are you someone who excels at the written word, is passionate about sharing stories, experienced at promoting people/places/events, possesses creative muscles that demand to be exercised, and would like to experience Sable Island in person? We’re looking for you!
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Position: Volunteer in the role of Director of Communications and Marketing on the Board of Directors
Time Commitment: Average of two hours per week over two years; greatest time commitment anticipated in September-October 2017
Sable Island Visit: The successful candidate will travel to Sable Island with Adventure Canada on their July 5-13, 2017 expedition. (See additional details below).
Friends of Sable Island Society is a non-profit volunteer-based organization dedicated to the preservation of Sable Island. We promote awareness and education through our website, annual scholarship and public events such as the “Science and History of Sable Island” conference in 2017. We collect stories – historical, artistic and scientific – to help others experience the mystique of Sable Island from wherever they live.
The Director of Communications and Marketing is responsible for the planning, development and implementation of the communications activities, marketing strategies, marketing communications, and public relations activities of Friends of Sable Island. Key actions include:
- Develop a communications and marketing plan and materials to promote the “Science and History of Sable Island” conference in 2017;
- Generate and manage media interviews through press releases and effective use of social media and networks;
- Identify and promote public learning opportunities (virtual visitor experiences for those unable to travel to Sable Island);
- Write stories and content for membership updates and newsletters, website, and social media (including Facebook and Twitter); and,
- Increase sales of existing products, and identify and/or develop additional items.
The Director of Communications and Marketing attends monthly board meetings, reports on progress against an approved workplan, and engages other Directors and volunteers in the work as needed.
- Self-starter who is comfortable taking steps to remove obstacles before seeking assistance
- Ability to work independently
- Knowledge and experience in communications, marketing, public relations, social media and event promotion
- Proficiency with the English language (reading and writing)
- Provide own access to a computer and internet for sharing stories on our website and social media sites like Facebook and Twitter
- Provide own software tools for creating communications, marketing and public relations materials.
A complete application package must include:
- resume and cover letter (preferably merged into one file)
- maximum two-page plan for how you would promote the upcoming “Science and History of Sable Island” conference on October 20-21, 2017 with the objectives of attracting a diverse set of presenters and achieving attendance goals
and be received at firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59pm on Friday May 12, 2017. Please quote “Director of Communications and Marketing Application” in the subject and body of all communications. Candidates selected for interviews will be asked to bring contact information for at least two references to their interview. Please note that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted (no later than Tuesday May 23, 2017).
Sable Island Visit Details:
We are thrilled to be collaborating with Adventure Canada to provide a free trip to Sable Island to the successful candidate for the Director of Communications and Marketing. Information on the cruise is available at http://adventurecanada.com/trip/sable-island-2017/. The cost of the cabin and shipboard meals will be covered. The new Director will be expected to use this trip to learn more about Sable Island and to create and share stories of their experience during and after the trip.
Note: Current members serving a term on the Board of Directors are not eligible to apply for this position.